March 5, 2011

John Galliano's final Dior collection

I know I haven't finished with Milan fashion shows yet, and don't worry, I am in the process of finishing my posts, but I think this is an important topic to discuss, so I am veering off a little to discuss Christian Dior's fall collection.  So as some of you may or may not know, John Galliano was fired from Dior recently for making seriously offensive anti-semitic remarks.  Although I understand Dior's reasons for firing Galliano, it's extremely sad that he won't be making any more amazingly beautiful clothes for the label.

As someone who wants to work in the fashion industry some day, the saddest things about when Alexander McQueen committed suicide was one, a loss of beautiful and unique clothing for the fashion world and another fleeting thought that I would never be able to see a McQueen show when I am older.  I feel like Galliano's dismissal is a similar case.  It's a devastating loss for Dior, although I'm sure they will find someone talented to replace him, but it's also a loss for young people like myself who some day hoped to attend a Dior couture show.  When something catastrophic happens in the fashion world, I always think how different things might be when or if I ever work for a magazine.

It's sad to say that Galliano will never walk down the runway clad in some period costume with Dior in the background.  However, I hope after rehab, he will be able to pull himself and his career together again and start making the beautiful clothes he is capable of.  However, I'll leave you with what Vogue declared the most condemned evening dresses.  It's really sad because these gorgeous clothes will probably never get the red carpet moments and the limelight they deserve.













































(photos from vogue.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment