January 25, 2010

attraction

What is it that makes people attracted to one another? Are we predisposed to a certain type of person or are we influenced by the media, or is it a little bit of both?

From 16 to 18 I was attracted to boys who were probably twenty pounds lighter than I. Now, two years later I want men with facial hair, I want men who are men, not boys. I'm no psychologist, but I've heard the theories that women look for men who are strong and can protect them, as sort of a throw back to the cave woman days, but why when I was sixteen was I interested in men who would have perished back in the days when people hunted for food?

Facial hair is the new abs nowadays for the hipster community. It gives men who have no ability to be either muscular or athletic the ability to attract women with their ability to stand still and grow hair. Is attraction to burly men the new fad or is it just thousands of years of survival instincts?

Either way, when a man passes me and he is radiating masculinity I automatically get a little weak in the knees. The boyish faces aren't getting me anymore, and maybe it's the fact that I'm considered a "woman" now even if it's only been three months since I stopped calling myself a teen. I used to cut out pictures of men who looked like they had a painting somewhere in their attic that was growing old while they stayed boyishly young. Now I'm looking for men who look like they've spent two months in the woods doing nothing but manly activities.

Oh, the laws of attraction will never cease to confuse and interest me.

No comments:

Post a Comment