January 29, 2010

Chanel - Paris Couture Fashion Week


Paris Couture Fashion Week is over, but it definitely gave us a lot to think about.
Designers gave us island themed gowns, riding outfits straight out of the Gibson Girl era, and pastel suits that left many wondering if they should raid their grandmother's closets for shorts this season.
Now that the week of Haute Couture has come to a close, I would have to say the front runners were Jean Paul Gaultier and Christian Dior. While Chanel left me a little less than excited.
It's difficult for me to make commentary on the genius of Karl Lagerfeld, but his couture looks, although extremely well-crafted, failed to impress me as much as his Spring '10 RTW.
Looking at Lagerfeld's designs up close though, there is no way you can deny the skill and talent that went into each outfit, especially the shoes, which regardless of their couture moon man appeal, I would buy in a second if I had the money.
However, it was the shorts that left me skeptical for who Lagerfeld was designing for. If I was a 40-year-old business woman I would jump into those suits in a second, but alas I am a 20-year-old student who has not hit the "business chic" phase of her life yet.
While Lagerfeld finished classic looks with futuristic touches, it left me wondering who could really pull of pastel suits with silver fingerless gloves.
Overall, Chanel is always classic and chic, and minus a few of the unflattering fits, I would strap on a pair of those moon man heels in a second and march down the street.




(photos from Style.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment