September 15, 2011

NYFW: Monique Lhuillier, Zac Posen and Jenny Packham

Sorry for falling behind in my fashion week posting, I, of course, got hit with a test and a lot of reading halfway through New York Fashion Week.  I thought I'd post about these three designers, and then throughout the afternoon Thursday, I'll try to get on top of the more recent shows.

I'll start with Monique Lhuillier's collection that really sort of surprised me this season.  Lhuillier is known for her princess dresses and red carpet after red carpet looks, and I felt like this season she went for a look with harder edges.  Although she did throw a few large evening gowns in at the end, I enjoyed her use of the black leather-looking straps on the dresses that played with hard versus soft.  I also liked her solid black dresses with the little details on the side and back.  Could Lhuillier be turning over an edgier leaf?

Zac Posen, who decided to return to New York to show this season, definitely knows glamour and likes to play with the curves on a woman's body with his clothes.  I liked the constructed look of his evening wear and how he styled the models.  Overall, it was very Zac Posen and very pretty, especially the dress with the lace and flower bottom.

This season Jenny Packham designed for princess.  OK, let's be honest, I think she designed for Kate Middleton.  Can't you just put Kate's head on almost all of the models and think to yourself, "Yeah, that looks like something Kate would wear."  I love the collection, though.  It's pretty in a simple and elegant way without being over the top.  Fingers crossed that the Duchess of Cambridge rocks some of this come spring.

Monique Lhuillier











Zac Posen








Jenny Packham













(images from vogue.com and style.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment